Monday, March 21, 2011

"Ms. Glamour"

           So, since March is our Magazine month, I decided to go to Borders today to buy my two magazines. My two partners told me that they had picked Elle & Cosmo as their typical women's magazines, and Bust & Bitch as their positive women's magazines. Being that I'm not a BIG magazine person, I went to Borders figuring they would have the most selection to choose from. When I got there, it was very easy to find the women's fashion magazines and there was a great variety of them to choose from. I ended up selecting "Glamour" as my typical women's magazine.
          Now, was the tricky part, to find the aisle that contained the positive image women's magazines. I went down each aisle, scoping out the subjects such as Food & Wine, Men's Health, Women's Health, Women's Fashion, etc. I could not find a section dedicated to Positive Image Women's Magazines. I even had to go down the adult entertainment/men's interest aisle a few times just to make sure I didn't miss it. It was embarassing! Anywho, I  FINALLY found the microscopic section labeled "Culture". The magazines were all overlapped upon one another so that you could not see the titles of the magazine, or any part of the front cover what-so-ever. I had to pull up each magazine one at a time to find the type of magazines that I was looking for. First, I came across Bitch, which had already been selected by Erica, then I came across Bust which had been selected by Jennielee, finally I came across Ms. Magazine. It was the only other Positive Image Women's magazine that was available at Borders. So by default, I have selected Ms. Magazine as my Positive Image Women's Magazine. I haven't gotten a chance to look through it yet, but I wanted to blog my magazine shopping experience.


        
            I was shocked to see how hard it was to find a Postitive image women's magazine! Maybe if these magazines were more accessible and available, more women would choose to read them as opposed to other women's magazines. And why were these magazines isolated on the far end of the store in the "Culture" section, next to gay and lesbian magazines, and not near the Women's magazines? Another thing I noticed was how the types of magazines offered for women were so gender stereotypical. If I was an alien from another planet and I went into Borders to look at the women's magazines to get an idea of what "Earth women" are interested in, I would think that  Earth women are Fashionistas, who are majorly concerned with their body and dieting, who like to cook, clean, and do some gardening from time to time, and need a man in order to survive. LOL! These are just some of the thoughts that went through my head during this eye-opening magazine shopping experience. 

* Moani *

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, that sounds difficult!

    At Barnes and Noble it wasn't as hard to find the positive image magazines--they were just in the same section as the other more typical women's magazines. I did get some funny looks buying something called "BUST" though. Lol.

    ~Jennielee

    ReplyDelete