Tuesday, March 29, 2011

AD-dicted to Glamour?

Last, but not least. Glamour Magazine. Let's take a look at its cover!

Cover:

Typical women's magazine wtih a sexified celebrity gracing its cover. The magazine grabs your attention by its bright colors and intriguing headlines. This cover stresses the importance of  being sexy, losing weight, and making sure your sex life is at the top of its game! Because as a woman, those are the things that really matter, right? The funny thing is, little did I know that these 7 articles mentioned on the cover were pretty much the only articles throughout the magazine, the rest being ads. Next let's take a look at the content.

Content:

I don't have much to say about the content of the magazine considering there was so little of it. Here are a few articles that caught my eye.



Oh joy! A whole article dedicated to learning how to get rid of cellulite!
 Even with the model squeezing her cheeks, I can't seem to see any cellulite. Can you?

Next, I came across an article about how to lose those last 10 pounds. This model does NOT look like she needs to lose another 10 pounds. Why are women taught to be so obsessed with their weight? Whatever happened to the saying  "it's what's inside that counts"?



The next article I came across was titled "What Men Think About Your Number"( referring to the number of men a woman has slept with before him). Ha! We just talked about this in our Psych of Women class today. The sexual double standard where a man who sleeps around is considered a "Stud" (positive connotation) whereas a  woman who sleeps around is a "Slut" (negative connotation). This article goes on to discuss a double bind where men don't want a woman who hasn't had "enough" experience because she may be boring in the bedroom, yet they don't want a woman to be "too experienced" because that would take away from him feeling special. Give me a break! Damned if you do, damned if you don't, right?


Let's end this section on a positive note. I did like the article below. It showed fashion trends for different types of body styles including a plus sized woman. I was very surprised to see this, it's been a while since I've actually read one of these typical women's magazines, so it was nice to see 1 plus sized person in this magazine!



Advertisements:

Maybe I should have read Glamour before I read Ms. Magazine. It was so nice to read a magazine without being pressured into consumerism. Now, I've come back to reality. Ad's! The first 19 pages of the magazine were ads, followed by a 1 page table of contents, and 16 more advertisements. WOW!  Anyways, I will post a few of my favorites ads below with my 2 sense. Enjoy!



First of all, I liked the fact that they have Ellen on here because she portrays a positive image of a woman, whose lesbian sexual orientation hasn't kept her from becoming very successful. However, I don't like the fact that the name of the product line is Simply Ageless. What happens when we do start to age? There isn't any makeup in the world that can stop that process. Why should we put so much emphasis on looking young and defying the natural process of aging?



Ooh look! Another so called Anti-Aging Product. I better run to the store and get it now so that I won't look a day over 28 for the rest of my life.


All I have to say about this ad, is that I didn't know that shoes could be "naughty".

 An example of faceism. Her face is not important. Emphasis is on her body.


 The newest trend in modeling...Headless Models!

An example of Dehumanization. What is this ad selling? I have no clue...


No woman is complete without her hair and makeup products... =)

Hope you enjoyed my comparisons of Glamour & Ms. Magazine. I encourage you take a walk on the wild side and pick up a positive image woman's magazine. Try everything once. You just might like it!

* Moani *

No comments:

Post a Comment